Highly creative and versatile software engineer skilled in object oriented design. Professionally experienced with the full software life cycle in an enterprise environment. Comfortable working both individually, and in a team setting. Looking for a programming position working on innovative processes with a creative bent.
Concepts & Packages: OOA/OOD, UML, TCP/IP, Agile, OpenGL, data mining, multithreading, user interface design, machine coding, parallel systems, learning computers, signal processing, pattern recognition, artificial intelligence
Software: Apple Xcode, Visual Studio, Eclipse, Subversion, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, Photoshop, Pagemaker, Dreamweaver, Logic, ProTools, Final Cut Pro, Blender, etc.
Other Skills: General Office Skills, Computer Repair, Electronics, Networking, Cabling, Web Design, Graphic Design, Audio Engineering, Video Production
Teaching Assistant, Maseeh College of Engineering & Computer Science, Portland State University
April 2008 - June 2009
• Tutored students in CS106, an entry level course for students learning computer programming fundamentals but not in a computer science related program. Heavily focused on communication, and done with Visual Basic 2005/2008.
• Tutored CS161/162/163 and 202, the basic courses for freshman/software computer science students, teaching concepts ranging from basic formatting up through polymorphic hierarchies and advanced algorithms/data structs.
• Minor tutoring for a number of other topics, including networking, computer architecture, functional programing, etc.
Analyst Programmer II, Enterprise Application Services, Office of Information Technology, University of Alaska, Statewide
October 2004 - June 2007
• Designed, created, and maintained university-wide software applications used throughout the entire state.
• Worked all levels, from requirements gathering and design, through large- and small-scale testing, to documentation.
• Example projects:
· Worked in a 10-person team going through the entire set of customized code written for the University system and proceeding to test, debug, update, and streamline all the code for a back-end upgrade by a hard fall term deadline.
· Primary designer/developer in a 3-4 person team, creating a completely new integrated system system for maintaining information on scholarship students statewide, replacing a manual paper-based system. Worked very closely with end-users throughout the project, and included both client-server, database, and GUI design.
Networking, User Services & Web Authoring Assistant, Division of Computing & Communications, University of Alaska, Fairbanks
August 1999 - August 2003
• Helped significantly with maintaining and distributing documentation, including video-based documentation.
• Designed and created the department's website as well as worked on and maintained the campus website.
• Microcomputer (Mac/Windows) and networking equipment (primarily Cisco) analysis, repair, and maintenance
• Example projects:
· Developed wireless coverage maps of the university campus, and made them dynamically available on the web
· Wrote a web-based program for tracking the location and current state/IOS of all the University's networking gear, both active, in standby, and in repair. Written in php using flat files, Web front end, Unix based.
· Scripted, shot, edited, and scored technology help videos for students explaining things such as: how to get their email accounts, wireless setup, or how to do basic network debugging. These videos were then shown during fee payment and on campus closed-circuit TV during orientation.
Portland State University, Master of Science in Computer Science
2007 - 2009
• GPA 3.87, Specialized in Intelligent and Adaptive Systems under Prof. Melanie Mitchell and Prof. Bryant York
• Selected Courses: Advanced Programing, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Graphics, Independent Research in Parallel AI, Inter-networking Protocols, Machine Learning, Modern Language Processors, Network Management & Security, Parallel Algorithms, Software Engineering, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks, Bachelor of Science in Computer Science & Bachelor of Arts in Music
1999 - 2004
• GPA 3.63, Graduated Cum Laude with Honors
• Member of Golden Key National Honor Society
• Selected Courses: Assembly Language Programming, Analysis of Algorithms, Computer Based Music Technology, Computer Graphics, Composition, Cryptography, Differential Equations, General Physics, etc.
Other Skills & Interests
• aikido, amateur film making, animation, biking, crafting, digital art, games, music production, new technology, science, tinkering, zymurgy
References Available Upon Request